November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

I trust everyone had a wonderful time giving thanks and enjoying family. Our family of three and my sister, brother-in-law, and niece joined together at our house. We feasted. We played games. We had a special thespian activity.

First, the menu. If you're interested in recipes, just click on a name that's in a different color:

  • Turkey (of course)
  • Gravy (perfection)
  • Crescent rolls (the doughboy is my friend)
  • Cranberry relish (supercharged cranberry sauce)
  • Citrus salad (Florida touch)
  • Cream cheese corn (the only way to eat corn)
  • Mashed potatoes (cream cheese overload)
  • Stuffing Balls (next year we'll add a touch of heat)
  • Sweet tea (you betcha)
  • Coke (L and Uncle B's preference)
  • Pumpkin pie (Libby's, Libby's, Libby's)
  • Apple pie (made from scratch by Aunt T)

This was the EASIEST Thanksgiving ever. Aunt T and family arrived at 10:00. We weren't going to eat until 2:00. We had nothing to do until 1:30 when the turkey came out of the oven. How did we do that, you ask? Besides putting some things together ahead of time, we had a Secret Weapon. Crockpots.


Photobucket


Before dinner we were favored with a tremendous honor. Two of the greatest actors of their time (their time being less than 7 years) performed a wonderful Thanksgiving play for us. It was magnificent. The timing. The expression. We FELT like we were there.

The Pilgrim and the Indian Princess:


Photobucket

Complete with papoose (Bunny):


Photobucket

Pilgrim boots to boot:


Photobucket


The Princess advising the Pilgrim as he hoed his cornfield. "Hoe, hoe, hoe," said the Pilgrim. "Wrong holiday!" said the audience.


Photobucket


Goin' Fishin'


Photobucket


Now, because I know everyone wants to have a transcript of the play, I've included it below. (Miss Girl was not up for large amounts of memorization, so her part was written with that in mind. Short and to the point.) I don't think you'll be able to afford the Superstars of the Stage, but you may borrow this script for your own Superstars. We won't ask for any royalties.


Narrator: Once upon a time there was a little pilgrim and a little Indian Princess. The pilgrim had moved to a New World so he could worship God without the king putting him in jail. The Indians were there already and were willing to help the pilgrims get used to things in the New World.

(Pilgrim is hoeing in field. Indian Princess approaches. Pilgrim stops and leans on hoe.)

Pilgrim: ‘Mornin’ Indian Friend. So, did you have a good sleep?

Indian: Yes.

P: What’s our lesson for today?

I: Corn.

P: Corn? I’ve never heard of corn. What does it look like?

I: Yellow.

P: Does it taste good?

I: Yes.

P: Hey, you’re talking more than you were yesterday!

I: Yes.

P: Do I plant the corn like this? (Leans down to put seeds on floor.)

I: No.

P: Do I have to add something?

I: Yes.

P: What do I add?

I: Fish. (Pilgrim smacks his head.)

P: Uh oh. Is that what you brought the fish for yesterday? We ate it last night.

I: Bad.

P: Shall we go fishing for more?

I: Yes. (Pilgrim sets hoe down and picks up fishing pole and hands to princess.)

P: Here’s your fishing pole

I: Thanks.

P: Say, can we use your bass boat with the 150 on it? (Walking away, talking.)

I: Sure

P: It's got a fish finder on it, right...?

Narrator: And so we leave the new friends to find more fish so they can grow the crops of corn. (P and I offstage: "We caught a fish!") If the harvest is good, perhaps they will feast together with much gratitude. Maybe the Indian Princess will be up to TWO words of response by then.

Is that a piece of pie calling my name? Yes, I believe it is...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails