When L and I were in college, we had the opportunity to take Greek. It was really, really enjoyable. A lot of our language comes from the Greek so it actually made more sense than you would think.
J has always been very interested in all aspects of language. We figured that he would enjoy learning a whole new alphabet since he's already got a handle on his native one!
I looked around and found a fun book that introduces the Greek alphabet in an interesting way. It's called Greek Alphabet Code Cracker, by Dr. Christopher Perrin. HERE is the link.
The concept is that the student is a detective who must decipher encoded clues (using Greek letters) from witnesses to discover the identity of a thief who has stolen a Grecian art object from a museum. It's a colorful book that instantly catches one's interest. I'm having J do just a few pages a day and he keeps wanting to do more. It's tough for a detective to have to wait for clues when he's hot on the trail!
Since J is enjoying this so much, I've decided that I might come up with my own caper for him to unravel after he's finished this book. If I do, I'll post it here.
J wants a detective outfit now. Do they make trench coats and fedoras in children's sizes?

No comments:
Post a Comment