May 6, 2009

The Terrific Tasties

We've been homeschooling, spring cleaning, decluttering, and generally getting things ready for "The Season."

What is "The Season" you ask? Here "Up North" we get a limited amount of time to spend enjoying easy, breezy weather. Everything (I mean everything) closes down and rolls up its sidewalks about mid-October. They don't open up until mid-May. If we want to enjoy things we have to get a move on! Hustle, hustle!

Now that I've explained my dearth of posts, I wanted to post about a project that J insisted on doing. Our region has a grocery chain called Hannaford. They are having a contest in the New England states and New York in honor of Earth Day for children in grades 1 through 8 in which they are to design a picture to be printed on a reusable grocery bag. Their rules said:

Local food is fresher, and supporting farmers and producers Close to Home helps strengthen local economies and communities. We want you to learn about the agriculture in the state where you live. Find out what makes your state great and design us a bag to fit!

J saw the poster about the contest a few weeks ago. He began to talk non-stop about doing a picture. I explained to him that it had to be something that had to do with healthy food and the agricultural production of our state. I gave him a grocery ad to show him what Hannaford liked.

He wanted to draw pirates.

I didn't say anything for a few days and figured he had forgotten about it. He saw the poster again and was worried that he had missed the deadline. He seemed determined to enter this contest, so I got the form and he sat down and drew this:


Photobucket


He's convinced he's going to win. I reminded him that there were LOTS of kids participating and the contest is open to kids up to 8th grade. He was unphased. He insists he's going to win.

Do you think we need to work on his self-confidence?

I'm aware (even though he isn't) that we've got a potential lesson on dealing with disappointment coming. I'm not too concerned. That's part of life. I am very pleased, however, that he was determined to follow this thing through.

My favorite vegetable is the celery playing the drums. The "hair" fits the part, don't you think?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails