June 24, 2009

It's Official

I wasn't worried, but I didn't want to plan too much until I got the "okay" from our state to prepare for the next school year.

I just got the letter today and all is set to go. Here is what I sent in as our Course of Study:

Basic Communication Skills:

Language Arts:

Continued proficiency in:

  • Reading comprehension
  • Grammar (parts of speech, punctuation, etc.)
  • Writing skills (spelling, vocabulary, sentence structure)
  • Use of reference materials
  • Narration
  • Poetry
  • Classic literature
  • Oral reading fluency

Introduction to:

  • Cursive
  • Copywork
  • Dictation

Math:

Continued proficiency in:

  • Addition
  • Subtraction
  • Time
  • Place Values
  • Money
  • Measuring

Introduction to:

  • Multiplication
  • Fractions
  • Word problems

Citizenship, History & Government

  • Major US holidays
  • Police Station visit
  • Ancient Civilizations (Sumer, Egypt, Greece, Rome, etc.)

Physical Education and Health

  • Playground
  • Biking, swimming, ball activities
  • Nutrition
  • First Aid

English, American & Other Literature

  • Ancient writings from 5000 BC to AD 400 using poetry, biographies, and stories such as Aesop's Fables

The Natural Sciences

  • Oceanography
  • Astronomy

The Fine Arts

  • Drum and/or piano lessons
  • "Discovering Great Artists" by MaryAnn F. Kohl (remaining artists--begun in First Grade)

That's what I gave to the state. I wanted to be vague enough to give myself plenty of room to flesh out what I intend to cover. I also didn't want to be too specific and get tied to something that just didn't work for this year. It's all about flexibility!

I will do as I did last school year and post my detailed monthly overview to show how I will put this plan into action. As it is, I plan to do a "Homeschool Lite" throughout the summer. I'll post about that separately.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails