We JUST returned from this trip. We really did stay home for a month between excursions.
For this outing we decided to go to Lake Placid and Ausable Chasm. Since it rained the first day we thought it best to go somewhere INside.
We went way up into the mountains to the place where the 1932 and the 1980 Winter Olympics were held. One of the famous names in 1932 was Sonja Henie. Here are her PINK (yes!) skates:
She was so popular they even had song sheets with her picture:
The rink where Sonja skated her way into the history books is open for everyone to use. It isn't the actual ice of course (77 year old ice--yuck), but it is the very place. Next to that rink was a building that housed the 1980 Games. The museum was in this building:
Each Winter Olympics has a mascot. The Lake Placid 1980 Olympics had "Roni the Racoon." This is the actual costume worn at the games:
From the front of the building you can see the national flags and the oval speedskating rink where Eric Heiden won FOUR of the five gold medals for the United States that year. (For those who remember Eric, let me just point out that he is now 51 years old. I'm sorry to do that to you.)
The fifth gold medal was won by the "Miracle on Ice" guys. A hockey team made up of college boys who took the world by surprise. Here are the doors...
...Leading to the rink...
...where the US gold medal was won by THESE guys:
We emerged from Memory Lane, did a little shopping and headed back to the campground. The next day was 72 degrees, and lightly overcast, so we decided to see another gorge. We like big holes in the ground. This time it was called a chasm. Ausable Chasm. It was, of course, amazing:
J's favorite formation was "Elephant Head." If you'd like to see more of the formations, click on the link above.
Now, I was very much enjoying the hike. We descended 80 feet to the river and were able to walk along with a lovely light breeze keeping us comfortable. Comfort. I like comfort. There was a gentle smile on my mosquito bitten face. Life was good. Then, I was informed that we would be rafting on said river. Oh.
Here are the strangers in the front of our raft. Notice the thick life vests. Evidently it was also 80 feet DEEP in some places. And, I was told, there would be a small rapid. Oh, again.
Our confident 20-year-old guide assured me that all would be well. He also gave me instructions on what to do should we capsize. I was not amused. The picture below is how our faces looked as the rapid (small) appeared in front of us.
(NOTE: That is a picture of me. Yes, it is. It counts. Yes, it does.)
I have to say that it was fun, even the (small) rapid. At the end of the ride J announced he wanted to go again. I agreed. My gentle smile returned. I scratched my itchy bites and decided that, indeed, life is good.












No comments:
Post a Comment