August 15, 2010

3rd Grade: Math

Math has been interesting. Of all the subjects we've covered in the three years we've been homeschooling, math has always been on the bottom as far as J's interest goes.

Things started out well. Whenever we had word problems, J was excited. Then we hit the "wall" of the multiplication tables. Oh, the weeping, the wailing, the gnashing of teeth. He HATED the flash cards. Hated them, I tell you.

When I went for J's evaluation at the end of 2nd grade, I asked the evaluator for some suggestions to make math more enjoyable. She pointed out that J is a visual learner. For some reason that never occurred to me! Then, she showed me a little program called "Times Tales." It covered the more difficult sets of multiplication that were giving J trouble by using PICTURES in story form to solidify it in his mind.

I used it during our Summer Program and, get this, J declared that MATH was his favorite subject! (Cue the Hallelujah Chorus.)


With the hurdle of the multiplication tables out of the way, I turned my thoughts to the new school year. First, I thought I'd use the Mind Benders book that incorporated logic puzzles (word problems using the process of elimination to solve). We'll do one each week. They're an excellent to provide orderly thinking, and, well, I just like them!



Next, I found an interesting presentation regarding all things money. We'll essentially read through this and talk about it as it comes up in "life."



Finally, I wanted a math book that continued to lay down the principles in an orderly way but provided LOTS of words to help with the numbers. I came across Mathematics Power Learning for Children. It had amazing reviews, but I'm not sold yet. We'll see how it goes when we get into it.
Thought not J's strongest subject, I think I can turn it around to at least make it an enjoyable one. I'll do my best.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails