August 8, 2010

Guess what landed in our yard?

I was walking by our sliding door that looks into our back yard and saw a flapping movement. A hawk was landing on our wood pile! J and I ran and got the binoculars to look at him and even managed to get out on the porch without him being concerned.

Then, it occurred to me to get the camera. I carefully opened the screen door and got a shot of him in the middle of the yard:


I ventured down the steps, ever so slowly, and crept toward him. He was making high chirping sounds toward me (I assume they were chirps of warning!). I was beginning to think I should heed those warning chirps when he suddenly flew toward our burn pile:


Where he stayed for the next 45 minutes! I got a few more snaps and then left him be to relax and do whatever he had landed in our yard to do.


2 comments:

Packrat said...

What a wonderful experience! It looks really big. I hope it is after mice and not the neighborhood cats.

Roxanne said...

That thought crossed our minds, too.

Our neighbor has SEVEN cats. They're moving at the end of next week, so I hope seven cats will be moving with them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails