With all the beautiful fall colors around us, it was hard to even think about black and white!

In one of the buildings were several works by Folk artist Warren Kimble. He didn't believe in black and white unless you count the cow.

Just before we entered the building with Ansel's works, we found a friend that wanted to pose with J.

J and I very much enjoyed viewing Ansel Adams' photos. We talked about what made the photos "work" even though there was no color. Then, I gave J the camera so that he could see what would and wouldn't work and so we could discuss why.
This first photo was lovely in color, but faded into a bland photo when we put it in grayscale:


Some things just photograph better in color. Fruit, for example, looks more tasty in color. In black and white it is less enticing as food, but not too bad as art:


There was a collection of old stoves in another building. J liked this one especially as it looked like a gingerbread house. It was interesting to note that its transition to black and white actually made the distracting background fade:








6 comments:
how COOL!!!! Looks like you two had a fun day comparing B&W to color! Did you take all the pics?
Yes, we did. I think it's opened up a whole new train of thought regarding picture taking for him.
I took the first three, but J took the rest.
This is great! Ansel Adams "cheated", tho. He used different filters when developing the film. Broke my heart when I read how he altered his photographs.
WHAT???
That's it. My bubble is burst!
Oh well, I guess there's "poetic license" even in photography.
I still love his photographs. And, yes, I would consider him an artist.
I guess we can still embrace his artistic sense!
Of course, he did all his photography without the aid of digital.
I wonder if he developed it himself, too?
Post a Comment