September 7, 2011

Back to School 2011

It's official.  As of today, Miss Girl is in the 3rd grade and J is in the 4th.  Do they look older?  (They're the ones without the fur.)


Our Back to School Party theme this year was: Pizza.  First, we had a clue hunt (Miss Girl's clues were written on pepperoni shapes and J's were on anchovy shapes) that led to their new school supplies.  They love clue hunts, especially J.  When we got home, J quickly made one for me.  He had me climbing up and down the stairs like nobody's business! 

For the second event, we had them draw toppings on a paper pizza. One could go the boring route and have them draw "mushrooms," "pepperoni," and "green peppers." I opted for something different. They had to draw toppings such as "vehicles," "wild animals," and "weather." Then they "called in" and gave their pizza orders. When we got home, J wanted to do that again as well. He gave the choices and I had to do the drawing. Two examples of my "toppings" were "J playing the drums," and "reptiles." Never a dull moment at our house.

We wanted the final activity before settling down to a pizza lunch (we're so good at themes) to be a fairly active one. One internet suggestion was to have a race with empty pizza boxes on their heads. It was raining outside and we had only a small amount of room inside, so I had to come up with another way to use those pizza boxes and their energy. The result of my brainstorm was "Pizza-nastics."

I started out with a calm and peaceful command. I could have suggested a nap at this point but knew that would go over like a stale pizza.


Next we moved into a higher skill set. The old balancing on the head trick. Miss Girl showed exquisite poise.


J, too, seemed to cotton to this particular pizza-nastics event. Of course, it does appear that he's being helped by that chandelier. I'll check the rules on that one...


Next the arms. Careful, careful...


Look at the loft on those! Fingertips, no less!


Now for the final event. Centered precariously, will the boxes remain for the next move?


Success! The extension on those arms is marvelous. Congratulations, new students!


And now, it's time to pack those carbs. (J is pointing to his recently lost tooth--I think. Maybe he's just indicating where the pizza should go.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails