August 14, 2008

Addendum to an old post

I was skimming through old posts and read this one in which I said I would post about when I was seven years old and I really, really wanted a bonnet like Laura Ingalls Wilder's.

Back then there were no VCRs (I know, practically prehistoric). I was a Little House on the Prairie fan and decided to tape an episode on my handy, dandy cassette tape recorder. It was the Christmas episode (in case you were wondering).

My mom (Hi, Mom!) had taught me to use our old Singer portable sewing machine (that's the very one, below). I set up the sewing machine, found some scrap material somewhere, and pushed "play" on the tape recorder so I could listen to the Little House episode (for inspiration, of course).




Someone had given us a pattern for doll clothes and there was a pattern for a doll bonnet. Somehow I figured out how to enlarge it. I cut the pieces, sewed them together, and voila! My very own bonnet! I wore it to school the next day (yes, I did), and my friends wanted bonnets, too. So, I made them some and we ALL wore our bonnets to school.

We were way.....behind our time.

Guess what? I STILL have the bonnet! (You're excited, aren't you?) That was 30 something years ago and for the first time the other day I actually looked at what was printed on the fabric. Not quite appropriate for Little House on the Prairie LOL! (In case you can't tell, they're beer steins.)


I even made my own "handmade by" tag with a line for each friend to add her own name. I wonder if those friends still have theirs?


I have now passed it on to Miss Girl for her dress-up play. She kindly acquiesced to model it for you. The strings are long gone, but she wears it well, doesn't she? Thank you, Miss Girl.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails