For October and November we did an overview of Canada. We used a book from the library called Wow! Canada.
Here is a summary from Amazon.com:
A car trip across Canada doesn’t sound like much fun to 11-year-old Guy, especially with his little sister in tow — but even he’s won over as the adventure begins. As his family treks from coast to coast, and even up into the territories, Guy finds that Canada is surprisingly... interesting. His wry observations offer an honest, engaging look at Canada’s culture, history, natural wonders, and most famous sights. The 3-D scrapbook-style design, featuring wacky postcards, Guy’s cartoons, and incredible photographs, complements the fast pace and truly original style of this remarkably entertaining guide.
It was EXCELLENT. We would read a few pages a day (covering two provinces a week) and look at the pictures. If we wanted to find out more information about something (e.g. The Klondike Gold Rush), we looked it up online or got a book out of the library.
I also printed a "Province Sheet" on which I listed information and provided boxes for drawings. One drawing was the provincial flag, another the provincial flower, the third was what I called "artist's choice" and the fourth square held a printed provincial....tartan. Yes, tartan. There was such a Scottish influence throughout Canada that every area except Nunavut (pronounced "noon-a-voot") has one.
Below is an example of J's work. For the "artist's choice" J decided to copy a line drawing from the book showing Canada with tennis shoes. Why not? My favorite part is the lion on the flag. His smile is infectious.
For December and January we are doing an overview of the United States. For this I have decided to use a series from Highlights magazine that is also proving to be excellent. It's called, "Which Way USA?" Each book covers one state using puzzles and a large map. We've finished Florida and New York and are currently doing:
We'll complete only ten states. We'll also do a refresher on the capitals and then see what "rabbit trails" emerge as we go along.
I'm not an "unschooler." I have an overall plan and have pretty much stuck to it. But, I love the freedom to delve into topics and encourage learning by "striking while the iron is hot." A boxed curriculum would not provide that for us and, for J and for me, what I'm doing is the best way. His style of learning and my style of teaching are in sync.
Well, most of the time.



No comments:
Post a Comment