Lest you think that ALL we do is art (though we both love it!), I'm posting a Science experiment we did last week.
January's focus was on "Energy." J learned to build a fire by helping Daddy and researched the sources and uses of heat. (He considered one source of heat to be from a fire-breathing dragon's mouth. He drew a picture of the dragon trying to scorch a knight. Seemed logical.)
The experiment was to show what element was needed for fire to "be." First I lined up three equal candles and three different sized jars. (Those are kiwi candles, thank you very much.)
Next we placed the jars over the candles. (Actually we did them at the same time but had to "stage" this picture.)
Then, the magic happened. One by one they went out, from the smallest to the largest. I had J write up an evaluation paper and try to figure out WHY, even when we did the experiment over two more times, they still always went out from the smallest to the largest. ("Oxygen!" he shouted. I love experiments.)
But then, the last time it did NOT happen the same way. J was concerned. His theory had already been proven. I, too, was a little chagrined. These experiments are supposed to be foolproof!
Pesky wax.



No comments:
Post a Comment