I've been very lax in blogging the last few weeks as I've been preparing for J's homeschool evaluation and doing lots of spring cleaning. I'm making up for it now--you'll have three posts to peruse when I'm finished today!
In our state we are allowed to do something called a portfolio. It is essentially copies of work samples to show the state the J is progressing. Since this is my first year to report to the state, I wasn't quite sure how to choose work that would represent that progress. A lady in our state is a certified teacher who has/is homeschooling her three children. She also does evaluations for other homeschoolers.
It was very easy. She met with me and J and I brought EVERYTHING with me. I had so much I loaded it all into a laundry basket! She asked for samples of his writing and math, looked at his huge collection of drawings, and then had him read to her. It was very simple.
She sent her report, which was full of "teacherese" about his abilities and accomplishments. After reading her report I felt such a sense of ease. I was stressing a little about "proving" that J was indeed being taught. Because of this meeting, I feel a new freedom in being able to customize J's next year of schooling. It's like new horizons have been made available as I realize that we can go into any area as thoroughly as we want without worrying that the state will disapprove.
I've labeled my approach to homeschooling as "Eclectic." I don't want to be limited in any way. Since J has the three basics nicely underway (Reading, Writing, and Math), now it's just a matter of applying those three in any area we wish going to whatever level of depth he's ready to do.
I'm really looking forward to next year! And just in case you were wondering...
...he passed First Grade.
No comments:
Post a Comment