November 4, 2009

Resting and Reading Time: An Explanation

I will use a particular phrase many times in my posts about J and his doings. That phrase is, "Resting and Reading Time."

Here's the scoop:

J has ALWAYS been a Morning Person. Dyed-in-the-wool, race-with-the-rooster type of Morning Person. J's father and I are decidedly NOT Morning People. Since I was there for his birth, I know he's ours. I just have no idea where he got this propensity to actually WANT to hop out of bed, full of energy!

In order to survive J's freakish...I mean natural time clock, we had to provide some way for him to enjoy his love for the early hours and our love for coming to consciousness on the right side of 6am. He's been this way forever.

When he was little, we trained him to stay on his bed when he awoke. We taught him how to turn on the bedside light, provided a light refreshment and a basket of books. That bought us enough time to reasonably ease ourselves into the land of alertness.

This has evolved as he's grown older. Now he comes into our room (in the dark, of course), gives hugs and kisses and good mornings, announces the time, and then goes off to perform his morning ablutions. After that, his desk light clicks on and the creativity begins.

That doesn't mean we get to sleep in until full daylight, mind you. But he's happy to have an hour or so to himself and we're happy to pretend we're getting all sorts of sleep.

Now you know.

3 comments:

Packrat said...

Well at least J goes and does something by himself! Our daughter would get in bed with us and talk and talk and talk. And, we had to listen. Nothing we tried worked. Now the only time she sleeps in is when she has studied or gone dancing all night. Oh, ya, I can tell her to not to stay out late, but since she's almost 23 she doesn't listen very much. LOL

Oh, I finally remembered to add this to my Reader. You are such a cool teacher. I want to come to your house and take school over.

Packrat said...

PS: Said daughter doesn't live in my house, either, so that argument won't work. Actually, she's been a dream child.

Roxanne said...

Packrat--LOL! Talk, talk, talk. I'm WITH you on that one! The boy is currently chattering away while playing in the playplace at Chic-fil-a. To me. While I'm typing.

Thanks for the compliment about my teaching. It's pretty easy with only one student who is eager to learn whatever I throw at him!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails