February 16, 2010

Human Body Systems (with additions)

In my last post I mentioned that J has been interested in the human body systems for quite some time. There were several months where he was constantly sketching them.

One episode of sketching occurred when I brought home these large gingerbread boy cutouts. I showed them to J who immediately felt the need to show their innards. In detail.

He made six of these, but I will showcase just three. The first is the skeletal system. (Click on the picture to see the labels.)



Although ALL of the systems are important, the next picture shows the one that makes it all work--the cardio-vascular:


If you will click on this third system (muscular) you may discover some new muscle groups. The Fom, for example, is an alternate name for the leg muscles. Rather than list the individual muscles, J just grouped them together and renamed them. Efficiency is his middle name.

There's another newly coined muscle that I want you to pay particular attention to. It is called the "Betbo."



The Betbo consists of the waist muscles.

Last fall, Aunt E came for a visit. Aunt E has worked in the medical field for quite some time. J knew that Aunt E would be especially appreciative of his work. He dragged . . . er. . .asked her to go upstairs to see his wall people. She admired them. Then, she pondered aloud about the particulars of the Betbo.

Aunt E: "What does the Betbo do?"

J: "It's the muscle that does this."

Then J proceeded to demonstrate the Betbo. We discovered that it's the muscle you use to do The Twist!

So, the next time you're doing The Twist, you know, as you're going about your daily routine, remember that you're using your Betbo. It's important that you use proper terms when you can.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

an artist with an imagination! That is too funny! Quint always wants me to draw for him...

Now I need to go find some music and work on my "betbo."

Roxanne said...

I'm so glad that I could pass along this important scientific information.

The betbo has been sadly neglected in the U.S. It was well-cared for in the 1950s, but things have changed.

Packrat said...

You are going to have a difficult time keeping up with this child. ;) Love the pictures and the muscle names. We'd better get busy getting those Betbo muscles in shape.

You'll get a kick out of this. About an hour ago, my daughter called and asked if I knew anything about morphine. Completely confident, I'm thinking I need to tell her I cannot be in a room when it is being administered. I said sure a little bit. What do you need to know? Then she asks, "Are eat and eaten the same? I know that happy and unhappy aren't because when you add the un the meaning completely changes." Oh, morpheme not morphine. What in the world is a morpheme????

HepKitten said...

Gotta say, this post made me laugh until my betbo hurt. I'm homeschooling my son too, and isn't it fun watching them take things they're interested in and run with them? :)

Roxanne said...

Kristen--Your Betbo needs regular exercise. That's why it hurt when you laughed.

Just find the right music and get to it, girl!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails