September 27, 2010

Cooking: Chicken and Dumplings

J (dressed as Arnold from The Magic School Bus) had his first official cooking lesson for this school year. He has helped me here and there in the past, but he's more hands-on this year as we work our way through basic recipes as part of the curriculum. Each recipe he completes is included in a notebook he made, complete with his own artwork (of course).

Since the temps have been on the cool side, I chose to have him go through the process of chicken and dumplings.

Here he is doing a masterful job shredding the chicken. I was very impressed. Perhaps his glasses helped him to concentrate.


On the counter are the dumplings all rolled out and ready. I know there's a bit of a controversy regarding dumpling shape, but we're a "rolled dumpling" family. If J wants to learn about the other kind, I guess he'll have to learn about it on the street.


Bubbling away in the pot. Not the most photogenic of meals.


The best part of doing the cooking--being the first to taste the results.


Next up for us: Cucumber Week.

3 comments:

Packrat said...

Love it!

Are your dumplings different than egg noodles? If so, would you be willing to share the recipe? I've only made homemade egg noodles or drop-biscuit dumplings.

Packrat said...

PS Just think how easy fractions will be for J!

Roxanne said...

Packrat--They could be the same, but I don't know. The dumplings I make are thicker than the dried noodles in the grocery store. Can you share your egg noodles recipe?

YES, we are fractioning up a storm with all the cooking. I think it's one of the BEST ways to make fractions make sense.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails