January 30, 2009

First Game of Bowling

Today we went with Linkmama and her two boys (8 and 10yo) to the bowling alley. I haven't been in probably 15-20 years. Things have changed!

For one, you don't have to know how to keep score any more. A moment of silence, please, for an era that has passed.

This was J's first experience with real bowling. Did you know that they have automatic bumpers? I was impressed. J ended up scoring really well since NONE of his balls were gutter balls. (I just had an ephiphany: With the bumpers in place, I won't have any gutter balls. Interesting, very interesting.)

First we had to get shoes. J LOVED the shoes and wanted to wear them home. There's no accounting for a six-year-old's taste in clothing.


Photobucket


We're homeschoolers. Homeschoolers can find lessons wherever they go. This lesson was about gravity.


Photobucket


Staying upright improved his game. For some reason he decided to throw from his left side. He's right-handed. I guess the important thing is getting the ball to the pins.


Photobucket


Notice he's beginning to develop "form." Extending the arms well to the back of the body after delivery must have some merit. Hey, whatever works.


Photobucket


Headin' for the sweet spot, baby!


Photobucket


In the very last frame, J got a STRIKE! That plus the two extra rolls allowed for getting a strike in the 10th frame actually pushed his score WAY up. (The Bumpers. That's what has been missing in my bowling career. The Bumpers.)

Photobucket


After a game like that, one needs to cool one's brow.

Photobucket


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails