April 16, 2010

"Creative" Writing

Creative writing. For some, those words bring a slight feeling of panic. (That would be me.) For others, it's a total delight. (That would be J.) By delight, I mean actual cheering. I don't try to understand it, I just take advantage of it.

A workbook I've been using, published in 1981, has done a good job of providing inspiration. The very last page gave these three "scenes" as incentives for three separate paragraphs:


J has been eagerly awaiting this assignment since he first looked through the book. Aliens, planets, and humor--right up his alley.

Each panel corresponds to a paragraph below. Pronunciations were provided when necessary. Believe me, they were necessary. Unfortunately, I couldn't use accent marks. Just do your best.
Neffoneffolummasilonokoody (nef-o-nef-o-luh-muh-sil-o-no-koo-dee), the president of Saturn, decided to go to Earth one day. It took him 38 years to get there (and 88 days). Neffoneffolummasilonokoody (ed. note: "Neff" for short) landed and started walking around.

He looked through some bushes and said, "!!!!" with alarm! Here's what he saw: 3 strange aliens! One had a nose at arms length, a second one had a long, flowing body, and the last one had stiff hair.

He was so scared he jumped back into his NIFO (Now Identified Flying Object) and zoomed toward Neptune where his cousin lived, to tell him about it. His cousin's name was Inglick (eeng-leek). Neffoneffolummasilonokoody never returned to Earth again.

You may borrow these images for your own creative writing assignment. Please turn it in by next Friday. Don't forget to indent.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails