August 10, 2010

Theme Weeks

Summer is winding to a close. We finished our Summer Program last Friday and we have three weeks until we start third grade.

It doesn't work well for J to have too much down-time. He entertains himself well and is always coming up with things to do (read through this blog as a testimony to that!), but I find that his behavior stays on track better if I make sure there's something structured in each day.

Therefore, the next three weeks have "themes."

This week we are doing "Experiment Art." (Click on the book for info.) I've used books by Mary Ann Kohl before and they are great. In this book, I chose the section that specifically does chemistry related projects as we'll be doing intro to chemistry in third grade.




Next week will be what I'm calling "Library Week." This is something that totally appeals to me. We will visit a different library each day (we have six) and will just spend a couple of hours there enjoying what each library has to offer. Each day we'll also bring home some books and spend about an hour enjoying a snack and reading. We're also going to a concert in the middle of the week.

The last of the summer weeks is something I instituted at the beginning of the summer. We did one of these then: "Brawn Week." When I first introduced this theme, I told J that he would not need his brain at all. He was suspicious. His suspicions were confirmed when we spent the entire week super cleaning the house and doing yard work! Well, "Brawn Week" is making a reappearance.

J is underwhelmed.

School will "officially" start August 30th, but that can always change. I love the flexibility that homeschooling offers.

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

so- Iam totally jealous that you have 6 libraries. What we have here barely counts as one LOL!

You have one cutie pie there.

thanks for stopping by my blog that I forgot-but then remembered.

Roxanne said...

Thanks. He's a sweetie most of the time. Mostly.

Yes, indeedy. SIX libraries. If I weren't married and a mother, I would SO be a librarian.

Gretchen said...

thanks for noticing my spiffy blog updates. I figured if I was going to use it I may as well make it mine LOL!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails